Archives

All posts for the month January, 2011

Well, In my last post I thought I was pretty much done with the comic site, but then I got an idea…. It requires the rescripting of some bits here and there to work. I’m regretting early design decisions I made for the sake of speed realizing I’m going to have to go back and scrap/rewrite/modify/refactor perfectly working code for somethings that’s — gulp, hate the buzz word — “Scalable.”

It was a really early data format decision that led to this, but luckily I didn’t affect the database structure. I just have to go back and insert a new value. That’s all…. gulp!

What I’m really worried about is that by “patching” this: I’ll see a better way to do the whole thing and “BAM!” 10 more things are added to “THE LIST.” THE LIST I’ve found never is finished because as I examine past novice mistakes and rewrite them I come up with another way to do the same thing more efficiently. For example: Affiliations List and Directory Addition with the Artist List could have been the template for the Powers List. And the Powers List is the elephant in the room no one will acknowledge.

from THE LIST: *Refactor the Powers List (priority medium/complexity medium) Purpose: Neither Anthony nor I are actually using it because it’s too unweildy. I need to make powers something that has a list of basic powers, then have expansions upon it where you can create new sub-powers or powers specifics.

What we did was try to think of all the powers characters have, then categorize them and list them. Instead what we should have done is develop all the categories: Physical, Mental, Magical, etc., then allow us to fill in the blanks with real world examples of those powers on-the-fly.

But I’m getting too specific for a blog post. Suffice it to say, I need to learn design patterns and how to think more like an Object Oriented Programmer.

UPDATE: in case you’re wondering why it hasn’t been updated, my colleague now has a baby boy to take care of, and I have bigger fish to fry. So, the site will probably be a cobweb site, and an example of what I can do.

The Comic side of http://www.daveshouseofwaywardmen.com/acomics.php is pretty much done. I just need a few graphics and that’s that. As I start to think about what I want and find out what Antny wants on the Movie side, I’ll build this part with a bit more planning than the comics side. The comics side rocks and all but it was a very organic process, with each feature adding and enhancing others.

I’ve gone back over some of the earlier code that I wrote and wondered what I was thinking. But then I realized I didn’t really know what I was doing, so I had html output in the first and second controller I made when I should have just passed back arrays. I fixed all that though when I built the Rating and Review controller and related pages. Also, I read up a bit on security and added a bit more of that too. Hopefully, I won’t get hack3d. As I get more familiar with attack vectors I’ll tighten everything up even more. But just in case I’ll be backing up almost nightly, and maintaining files offline in case I need to restore anything.

But enough worry. Time to play a bit.